Tuesday 19 February 2013

2013 Travel Update IV - Jaipur

Greetings from the Pink City!

And my ramblings today come from Rajahstan, the land of kings where all the best Bollywood movies and the excellent British production of Kama Sutra, (no, not that version, the Channel 4 one...), have been shot.

So, how is it different to Agra? Well, there are hills for starters which is something that I haven't seen in quite a while. Ever since touching down in Delhi, (or indeed Abu Dhabi for that matter), the landscape has been as flat as the proverbial pancake. Quite a feat for a country with some of the world's highest peaks within its borders I suppose, but it still makes for boring train journeys.

And not only is the scenery good in Jaipur but also the attractions. Ok, so it's touristy, but tourists do tend to flock to where there are things worth seeing, (which may explain why I was the only one to be found in Al-Ain...), and the forts and palaces of Jaipur are un-bloody-believable.



Also un-bloody-believable is that I dined in a restaurant where a mouse ran across the floor in front of me and yet didn't get sick.

And it was tasty too!

And apart from that, I met a tuk-tuk driver who sings qawali whilst bombing along at breakneck speed and presented me with a garland of roses because I showed an interest in Sufism.

And a hotel owner pured out his life's story over beer.

And a Brahmin priest annointed me with some kind of sticky paste. I'd like to think that he'd spotted my innate holiness and wanted to celebrate having met a real-life man-god like Krishna. However, I suspect he just wanted a tip.

Should have picked someone else to annoint then.



Until next time...

Keep travelling!

Uncle Travelling Matt

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, Golden triangle packages india
    is one of the best India tours especially designed for those tourists who are willing to explore India through history and past and art & architecture.

    ReplyDelete